All Levels Aerial Yoga
A full body yoga work-out catered to any individual shape or age, this class uses an aerial hammock in various ways including suspensions, inversions, core balance and floor assistance in order to accomplish a different approach to yoga postures. This unique class is centered to work on body extremities and core to develop strength, flexibility, motor dynamics, spinal alignment, endurance, reflex sharpness, balance and somatic perceptions.
THIS IS AN OPEN LEVEL CLASS, BUT WE RECOMMEND THAT YOU HAVE TAKEN A BEGINNER CLASS OR RESTORATIVE CLASS.
Aerial Yoga Policies:
- A short or long sleeve shirt must be worn at all times. No tank tops will be allowed in class.
- Advanced signups are required and encouraged. Classes fill up quickly and space is limited. Check the Mindbody Connect App to confirm space availability.
- Cancellations must be made at least 1 hour prior to class start time. If you pre-register and do not cancel you will still be charged for the class.
- Aerial Yoga age consideration is 14 years of age to participate.
- All students must arrive at least 10 minutes prior to class start time to ensure proper set up with silks. Students more than 5 minutes late will not be accepted into class, and spots will be given away.
How do I sign up? How much are classes?
- Sign up on the Membership page or on the MindBody App.
- Purchase a drop in at regular price of $20 or (5) or (10) class pass
- Become a Member and take as many Aerial classes as you wish!
- Sign up for class, spaces fill up quickly.
- You will be charged for no show. Please call to cancel 24 hrs. prior to class.
How can an Aerial Yoga practice support a yogi’s journey?
By transforming gravity.
It’s true that Gravity grounds us, binds us safely to our beautiful blue planet. However, in our modern sit-a-lot, type-a-lot, collapse-whenever-we-get-the-chance-a-lot culture; gravity can become for many, a compressive, distracting, and sometimes down-right painful companion.
Aerial Yoga, through the blending of traditional Asana and the use of the Aerial Yoga Hammock, creates opportunities for Yogi’s new and experienced to explore postures that counter the habits of modern life; using gravity as an ally in decompressing, releasing, and transforming areas of habitual and circumstantial tension.
How can the Hammock help?
The hammock is an excellent but subtle assistant for balance, strength, and flexibility. By minimizing the fall but maintaining the wobble, new Yogi’s can increase the benefit of many postures with just a little help.
By gaining familiarity with the sensations associated with accessing core muscle groups and deep stretches in often inaccessible balances, beginning practices can grow by leaps and bounds. This physical information translates easily into safe and effective Yoga of any style.
The Hammock acts like training wheels; offering a little bit of support in challenging muscular postures without doing all the the work for you.
Because the hammock is a part of the practice, not a prop that needs to be added or subtracted (disrupting the meditation of asana) beginners can stay with the class and not miss cues or parts of a sequence due to fumbling with blocks, straps, blankets etc.
For flexibility, the support of the hammock can remove the sensation of ‘falling’ into unfamiliar postures; often a big mental challenge for yogi’s new to the pairing of deep stretching and breath-work.
You will be reminded of why you liked hanging upside down as a kid and you will wonder why you ever stopped 🙂
For the more experienced Yogi:
An all levels aerial class structured to leave you ready to drift off into blissful sleep. Annie will guide you through beginning and intermediate postures including inversions, hip/shoulder openers, twists and more. Attention will be paid to winding down toward to the end of class, giving you a chance to swing the day away, ready for a restful night.
What should I wear/bring to my first class?
For attire there are a few things you definitely want:
1. You want tight fitting stretchy pants that will cover the backs of your knees. Leggings or footless tights are a great option.
2. You want a shirt that will cover your midriff without riding up, or that you can tuck in. And please make sure your shirt has sleeve. No tank tops will be allowed in class.
3. Don’t wear a belt, or any jewelry that could possibly catch on or tear the fabric. No dangly earrings, no spiky rings etc. Take off your dangly pendant and tape over any spiky piercings you can’t remove.
4. You can’t wear shoes to do aerials so your footwear doesn’t matter as long as you take it off.
5. Bring lots of water, and make sure to drink it in class. You might also want to bring a protein-rich treat for after class to help build muscles.
Aerial Yoga – Restorative
This is an all-levels class which uses the silks to gently support gentle restorative poses. This class features deeply relaxing full-body inversions as well as mindful stretches and a long relaxation at the end in the cocoon of the hammock!
See when Aerial Yoga – Restorative is offered
Aerial Yoga – Restorative/Yin
This luxurious class is a hybrid of Restorative, Yin, and Aerial Yoga. In this style we are calming the mind and nervous system with our breath, presence, and the support of the fabric. We are therefore also conditioning our attention and focus. In the poses that are of the Yin style, we target our connective tissue. This will increase the wellness of the respiratory, circulatory, and immune systems. Poses are held anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes. Our connective tissue is cool in nature, and needs a calming practice to safely and effectively target it.
Our muscles are made up to 30% of facial, so we are creating much space in our bodies with this practice by creating length in deep stretches while we fully relax our muscles—this will provide numerous benefits, including releasing tension in our bodies as well as create space for muscle building. This is the second part of stretching our bodies, and can contribute much gain in flexibility. We are activating generation in our joints, as well as breaking down scar tissue residue from injury or immobility. Energy channels, meridians, or nadis are opened. Come bliss out and expand in this grounding, centering, and peaceful, supported aerial class.